RN Shift Coordinator, Registered Nurse
Company: Mercy Health System
Location: Crystal Lake
Posted on: January 19, 2023
Responsible for hospital operations when administration not
present. In the absence of on-site leadership, fulfills the
leadership role for nursing staff, physicians and other hospital
* Provides leadership for nursing units in the absence of
* Provides leadership for other hospital departments in the absence
of department directors during disaster situations.
* Reviews staffing needs for next 24 hours and makes necessary
staffing adjustments for all nursing units.
* Organizes, directs and collaborates with personnel on assigned
* Investigates and resolves administrative problems/complaints and
refers unusual problems to department directors or
* Offers input into the evaluations of nursing staff
* Coordinates educational offerings for assigned shifts
* Responds, coordinates and critique crisis situations.
* Supervises staff, assesses their needs, identifies educational
opportunities, and communicates with unit leadership.
* Assists in maintaining and monitoring Nursing unit budgets,
identifying opportunities to reduce costs.
* Manages and assists in the resolution of opportunities related to
human resources, and safety and risk management issues
* Assists in implementation and evaluation of nursing
* Aware of and collaborates in performance improvement / quality
initiatives for the nursing departments.
* Highly visible to partners, rounding with charge nurse/lead
nurses at least once per shift and others as able throughout the
* Rounds on patients/families as requested/needed with attention to
high-risk patients. Rounds on at least one patient/family per
* Role model service recovery as appropriate. Encourages and acts
as a resource for front-line partners to participate in the service
* Coordinates patient admissions, discharges and transfers and work
assignments of nursing staff to meet patient and unit needs.
* Serves as incident commander until the administrator on call
arrives for Disaster Operations Plan. Participates in on-going
Disaster Preparedness education.
* Participates in nursing leadership educational sessions
* Acts as a resource person for nursing staff, physicians and other
* Assists with complex patient care situations.
* Counsels patients, families, and staff in time of crisis.
Accesses appropriate resources.
* As a designated Organ Procurement Requester assists with
procurement of organs to be donated. Assists with completion of the
death packet and process as needed.
* Contacts OR staff for emergency OR procedures; assists Maternity
staff in obstetrical emergencies, including assisting with
coordinating resources for emergency surgeries; coordinates
resources from Central services and Radiology for such cases.
* Assists in procurement of supplies, nourishment for staff ,
physicians or patients, medical records and medications as
* Familiar with and assists with the delivery of care in accordance
with the hospital and departmental Mission, Vision, and Values.
Interprets and enforces institution policies.
Education and Experience
Graduate of an accredited nursing program. BSN or upon hire BSN
completion agreement for enrollment in an accredited BSN Completion
Program May require specific years of applicable experience to
qualify (per department guidelines). If hired prior to 1-1-14 in
Winnebago County and prior to 9-1-14 in Rock, Walworth and McHenry
Counties an ADN only is required.
Licensed as an RN in the state of practiceCPR/BLS ACLS desired
Special Physicial Demands
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly
required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is
occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to
25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth
perception. The Special Physical Demands are considered Essential
Job Functions of the position with or without reasonable
Culture of Excellence Behavior Expectations
Keywords: Mercy Health System, Crystal Lake , RN Shift Coordinator, Registered Nurse, Healthcare , Crystal Lake, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!