Principal Software Developer-Web & Mobile
Location: Crystal Lake
Posted on: April 4, 2021
Discover. A brighter future. With us, you'll do meaningful work
from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core
behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed
Together. And we mean it - we want you to grow and make a
difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and
payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have
an opportunity to shine. Come build your future, while being the
reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with
Discover. Job Description Job Summary Currently seeking a
thoughtful, well-rounded full stack software engineering
professional to be part of the Business Technology - Customer
Engagement Platform department. In this role, the individual will
work in a highly technical agile team which handles services for
Discover websites and mobile apps utilizing the latest Discover
platforms for continuous delivery and cloud development. The
individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide
thought leadership while contributing to the development of modern
services. Works on analysis, design solutions, development and
supports application software. Conducts development tasks including
technical design, coding with test automation, support and
documentation. What You'll Do
- Deliver on all product development phases from planning,
application development, release, and support.
- Drive product quality through paired programming and test
- Ensure applications meet security, high availability, and
- Develop application code using languages such as React, and
- Develop API endpoints to support internal and external
- Develop / maintain a CICD pipeline to build, test, and deploy
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of new
frameworks to gain competitive edge in delivering value to
- Take necessary steps (prioritization, mentoring, and
assistance) to enable the team to be a high value,
cross-functional, autonomous unit.
- Develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs
- full stack solutions require one or more of the following:
front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps
- Work directly with business partners to understand business
requirements. Work independently or with own team to innovate and
advocate for best practices within the team.
- Design complex solutions and lead them from inception to
production within the Agile team.
- Write technical requirements and design documents in support of
the initiatives in the mobile and web platforms.
- Maintain highly available systems. Ensure all projects and
releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Delivers technology solutions that support our business goals:
Partners with management, architects, and product owners to
understand requirements, evaluating the features to prepare
applications specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Enhances Operating Model by demonstrating a high-level of
initiative, ability to work with all levels of management and
within a scrum team as a senior technical leader/developer. Assists
with the growth of others on the team within a challenging
environment while promoting DFS cultural behaviors and technical
proficiencies based on our latest standards and strategies
- Actively contribute to the department's developer community to
support technical initiatives and provide input into best
- Maintains highly available systems. Ensures all projects and
releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated How
You'll Do It
- Develop and maintain front-ends focused on user
- Develop and maintain back-end systems.
- Work with key stakeholders to design solutions and lead from
inception to production.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application
infrastructure, and utilize cloud services (including database
systems and models).
- Innovate on and advocate for best practices and improved team
- Mentor junior team members.
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity. . Minimum
- Bachelor Degree in Information Technology
- 8+ years Software Development or related
- In lieu of education 10+ years Software Development or
relatedBonus Points/Nice to have
- Development experience across both Web & Mobile platforms
- Comfortable with system design and architectural concepts
- Exposure to architectural patterns at scale; including
thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and
efficient CS principles
- Experience in utilization of open source projects
- Proficient across the technical stack, able to deliver quality
code at all tiers
- Exposure to Extreme Programming
- High Level understanding of emerging trends in software
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Team motivator and team player
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an
ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar;
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as
well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka,
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and
methodologies#LI-SY1 #RemoteWhat are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants
- with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity
employer (EEO is the law) . We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You
will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in
consideration for a career at Discover.
Keywords: Discover, Crystal Lake , Principal Software Developer-Web & Mobile, IT / Software / Systems , Crystal Lake, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!